The project seeks to build the capacity of Iraqi scientists from participating institutions and ministries to implement the project and to sustain activities over the long term.
The participating Iraqi ministries and institutions are the Ministry of Water Resources, the Ministry of Agriculture, the Universities of Baghdad, Basra and Wasit under the umbrella of the Ministry of Higher Education and the Ministry of Environment.
Iraqi scientists interacting and working with researchers from Australia and international institutions will update their knowledge on the following areas:
- Mapping the spatial distribution of salt-affected lands
- Data review and field sampling
- Regional scale assessment of agricultural production by use of remote sensing
- Crop screening methods for tolerance to salinity and other soil constraints
- Irrigation water requirement
- Soil analysis
Socio-economics- quantifying effects of salinity on livelihood patterns of rural households.